Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Vaclav Havel...and pre-cognition?

Does this ever happen to you?

Last night, driving back from the gym, my mind suddenly drifted toward Vaclav Havel (former Czech dissident turned President), specifically an interview I read with him years ago when he talked about how much the early Zappa/MoI records meant to him and his co-dissidents back in the late 60's. Zappa's uplifted middle finger at convention and big brotherism rang consonant with Havel's anti-communist poetry and plays - they eventually met and became friends/mutual admirers.

I remember wondering last night how Havel was doing health-wise. The guy was a chain smoker for decades and I recalled that he went through a cancer scare and other bronchial challenges in the 90's.

But...was he still alive? I searched my memory for anything related to his passing, which would have been a big deal - he is frequently credited with leading the so-called Velvet Revolution which overthrew Communist rule in Czechoslovakia.

And so, uncannily, came this story that he's in a Prague hospital, suffering more bronchial distress. Not life threatening, evidently, but serious.

But I mean...honestly, I had heard no news of this last night. And when was the last time I actually thought about Vaclav Havel?

Just freaking weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment