Sunday, January 11, 2009

RIP Mark

As I posted a few days ago, one of the members of my online hangout, the GTF, suffered complications from a cardial procedure to fix a malfunctioning pacemaker. He suffered rapid and catastrophic loss of blood flow to his brain, and after two days on a respirator, his family removed him from life support on Thursday, and he expired.

Mark was only 33, and this tragedy hit the members of that community very hard. He had several close friends there, and the site has posted a donation program for the young family Mark left behind.

Personally speaking, I did not know Mark very well. We had a few contentious exchanges many months ago, and unwilling to establish and promote a negative relationship with him, I generally avoided discussing much with him. Whatever our relationship was or wasn't, no one deserves a fate like this, at such a young age. The man was robbed.

Having lost my own spouse four years ago, under different circumstances, I felt immediate sympathy and empathy for his young wife. Her couple of days between the procedure and the decision to remove life support, chronicled on CaringBridge, brought back toxic memories of my own.

RIP Mark. Sorry we didn't know each other better.

No comments:

Post a Comment