Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year


We managed to survive Vegas, although we left a little pile of legal tender behind. The crush of humanity, the lights, the sheer excessive consumption of the place is a little overwhelming. Lots of standing in line, lots of spiky-haired hotshot gamblers, lots of stretch limos in some of the most insanely crowded streets I've seen since living in NY (at least around the strip).


John's wedding was at the top of the Stratosphere, the needle-type monolith at the south end of the strip, 103 stories over Vegas. I don't handle heights well, and just recalling the view makes my palms sweat.


There's a wildfire burning a few miles from the house - high winds knocked over a power transformer (or power line, not sure which) and started a nasty fire that's already consumed one home. We're pretty far from it, so I believe we're safe for now.


Found out that one of the members of the GTF, someone I'd hesitate to say I am close to but a regular member nonetheless, is suffering severe neurological dysfunction after a relatively minor heart operation gone wrong (is there really such a thing as a routine heart operation?). His prognosis appears grim, and thinking about what his young wife is going through, I can't help but flash back to my own experience being in this place. Terrible thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment