Wednesday, March 4, 2009

RIP, Mom


My last post, noting the fifth anniversary of my marriage to Karin, was made unknowingly at very nearly the exact moment my Mom passed away in Bronx, NY, at age 89. As it turns out, February 14th is now the anniversary of my marriage to my late wife, and the anniversary of my Mom's passing.

Sharon and I flew to New York for Mom's funeral, and a somewhat tense and logistically complicated gathering of siblings, my father and a few cousins.

Mom had been enduring the burden of Alzheimer's for some years - what could be more criminal that having almost nine decades of memories and not being able to enjoy any of it?

Mom valued language, loved to laugh, had impeccable taste, a good sense of humor and a certain fearlessness about her that I have only come to appreciate lately. A strong, beautiful woman - far from perfect - but one of Boston's loyal and notable daughters. She gave us all great gifts, and I love her and will never forget her.

RIP, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment