Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What is it about medieval chant?

I've always felt a strangely compelling affinity for medieval chant - I've never been able to figure out why.

Bluemars and Cryosleep were still still down this morning, so I renewed my bookmark to Sleepbot this morning, and heard an amazing solo plainsong chant written by Hildegard of Bingen (1098 - 1179) called 'O iersulam', released on a Hyperion recording called 'A Feather on the Breath of God' (reissued 2003). Medieval devotional chant, soaring and passionate. Not my usual musical taste, but stirring and haunting nonetheless.

Out of curiosity, I went out to learn about this remarkable woman (beatified as a saint) and the generous legacy of writing and music that remains. The parish church at Bingen, which is situated at the confluence of the Rhine and Nahe rivers has her remains, and several ancient buildings in that Rhine town recall her history.

No comments:

Post a Comment