Saturday, April 10, 2010

Jammed up

A string of two or three setbacks in quick succession have led me to a place where I'm seriously considering either calling the newspaper gig quits, or at least taking an extended break.

The Spankers thing still stings, getting completely stiffed on Phoenix, a so-so chat with a surprisingly standoff-ish Robben Ford yesterday, a quickly arranged chat for tomorrow with Otis, with whom I have a decent relationship but will be probably unprepared for (and I know how he hates that), being relegated to an email interview with Metheny for 'Orchestrion', and probably in the process of getting stiffed for a piece on the Fray...one after another, I'm feeling like I'm swinging at air here. Part of this is my fault, part of it is a series of events or screwups outside of my control, but combined they suggest that I'm just not packing the kind of punch I used to.

As recently as a couple of months ago, I felt like I had this thing really under control. Will see how the next week plays out - I can't walk away from the obligations I've already committed to - but I have to take a breath and re-evaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment