Friday, September 25, 2009

Collins can't play anymore - followup

I'd be remiss...or I should say, I was remiss...in not noting that Collins' drumming career extended well beyond Genesis. The early Brand X records - frantic, blistering, screws-loose fusion, bred from an obvious love of Mahavishnu (without all the foreign-language modals) were chuck full of Collins absolutely playing his ass off outside the fairly rigorous controls of Genesis and their orchestral album-version dogmatism.

I've been tempted to turn my USB turntable process loose on a few of those records - Morroccan Roll and Unorthodox Behaviour especially - but I fear they're way too worn down for decent reproduction. In grazing my CD collection a few years ago, I did come across Missing Period, which is a collection of rehearsal versions of selections from both albums. Honestly don't remember ever getting the CD, but it was fun to find it and I do listen to it fairly regularly. There are a few obvious mistakes in there, and some comically off-the-grid soloing that would have sounded out of place (even for them) on album versions. But it's also a view into just how good this band was.

Phil hasn't drummed with Lumley and Goodsall for many years - but it'd be an oversight not to mention that affiliation in any discussion of Phil's drumming career.

Collins also showed up on other people's records - notably his old lead singer Peter Gabriel - but also outside the strictly-rock arena. I remember a long hitch I did from Boston to NY back in the late 70's, and getting picked up by a guy who, about my same age, also had very similar musical tastes and a a few tracks from Vimana, debut record from Narada Michael Walden's post-Mahavishnu fusion outfit. Terrific record, if not altogether easy to find anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing Genesis at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh in the '70's, and also seeing Peter Gabriel at the Stanley (in Pgh). Some of the best shows I've ever seen. It's a drag to get old, but I guess it happens to the best of us. Enjoyed your article.

    ReplyDelete