Saturday, October 6, 2012

Travel Eastward


First of a handful of follow up entries about the England trip….

We got to the airport a little more than two hours before our first leg – to Houston – and had time to kill. Spent some time on B Concourse smoking and sipping diet soda. If we go again next year, that smoking lounge will be gone. Like most airports today, DIA will be completely purged of smoking by end of 2012. We smokers take pending changes like this in stride – “well, maybe we’ll have quit by then..” – but we were grateful to nic-up before about fourteen hours of travel, including a stopover in the proudly smoke-free Houston Bush Airport.

At the Houston gate, we met a nice couple named Janet and Andrew from LA, who took up seats near us at the gate. He was English, she from Southern California. An unlikely pair we thought, but 13 years married (about our age) and seemed to work well together. They were on their way to Barton-on-Humber to visit his 90-something year old Mum celebrating a birthday, and then westward to the Bristol area. We had both areas on our itinerary, at least along the way, and while we offered some vague interest in getting together with them, we both knew we probably wouldn’t. They were visiting family, we were on vacation and had plans. We waved at them at the baggage area at Heathrow, but that was that.

Sharon had the window for the nine hour Heathrow leg, which was fine with me since I planned to sleep (see below) and read, and it was going to be nighttime the whole way and what good’s a window at night? I was in the middle seat next to a stony faced black lady clutching a rosary the whole flight and looking for all the world like she’d rather be anywhere else than on that plane. So much for casual conversation. Also didn’t help that I had our massive laptop wedged awkwardly at my feet, forcing my legs together and a little sideways. Sounds like a minor deal, but almost 9 hours of that was a little wearying.

I noticed that people on the plane were taking to standing – just standing, some for an hour or more at a time. At first I thought they were waiting for the bathroom. I guess this is done on very long flights, keeps the bloodflow going or something. What seemed a little odd at about three or four hours started to make sense to me at about five or six hours, and toward the end of the nine hour flight I found myself envying them and their outstretched legs and properly aligned bloodflow and entautened leg muscles, but I also knew in order to join them I’d had to excuse myself over the lady with the rosary, probably interrupting a silent prayer that may well have been on behalf of all of us on that plane, and having a fundamental mistrust of air travel I managed to talk myself out of it. Eh…a few more hours of being bent hideously at the hip isn’t so bad.   

I lost track of how many people gave us advice on dealing with jet lag, one of modern life’s now-routine  assaults on the human body, but one neither of us ever had any experience with – stay up the night before, sleep on the plane, don’t sleep on the plane, stay up on the arrival day, take a nap on arrival day, take a pill, take five pills, meditate, etc etc. We both tried to sleep in flight, but our seats were near the gargantuan Boeing 777 engines and the muffled roar reverberating off the windows (sounded like B-flat) was just enough to keep us from drifting off. Besides, it was only early evening our time… The multimedia screen facing me kept ticking down the hours until arrival, which I found both a slight comfort and a consistent annoyance. It never occurred to me to turn the damn thing off – which I did do on the return flight. Sharon watched a movie, but mostly I read and zoned out to Andrew Lahiff, Air Sculpture, Steve Roach and stormloop on the iPod, and read TheTime Traveler’s Guide to Medieval England. I was most pleased to find an outlet to keep my iPod charged – not a new development I am told and yes, we don’t get out much.

 

We were warned that the line at immigration would be long – the English, and I guess most of Europe in general, have accepted long lines (“queues”, as the Brits would say) as a fact of life, being generally more patient than Americans (who isn’t?), but in fact the luggage retrieval took a lot longer. We got up to the lady’s booth after a very short line, she asked curtly why we were in the UK, asked for a contact there (I gave them Chris’ name and address, but it quickly occurred to me – what do you do if you don’t have anybody there to use as a contact? Do they put you back on the plane? Assign you a foster family? A chaperone?), stamped our passports and we went off to meet the driver that Chris had ordered up for us.

On English soil. It has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment