Sunday, November 13, 2011

Musical media diaspora

I've been toying with an idea that I should diagram out the current state of my music collection. The outer circle describing the entirety of music I own, subcircles for that which resides on vinyl, CD, tape and digital (some commonality there), then another layer of what's available on which device for playback (iPod, phone, PC, laptop...), with entangled and knotted subcircles there. Not even getting into WAV, MP3 and M4A formatting....

This is a lethally nerdy thing to do, and seriously who cares?

Still, I find myself drifting toward the player-specific singularity that tech observers have been predicting for a couple of years now. (This being, basically, everything will end up on the phone sooner or later.) I unlocked my Droid PowerAMP for about $5, seemingly fixed an annoying problem where the music would randomly fast-forward to the next track (hardly random, as it turns out - the app has a 'headphone control switch that allows for playback options controlled by headphone commands, which of course is something I have never heard of...anyway, I turned it off and it doesn't fast forward anymore.) and have started loading it up. I configured the EQ and now have at least one piece of music (U2's The Joshua Tree, which I cloud-purchased from Amazon and actually isn't as good as I remembered it...) that resides on my phone and nowhere else.

This shit used to be a lot less convenient, and a lot simpler.

And, of course, this is one reason I stubbornly refuse to even look at a tablet PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment