Monday, June 28, 2010

UM story in, cheerleading

Did a great interview with Jake Cinninger from Umphrey's McGee last week, actually one of the few jam scene's veteran bands I find consistently interesting, probably due to their shameless progrock indulgences.

They're doing a show at the Rocks, twin bill with Galactic and the Wailers supporting.

Piece went ok.

In other news, David tells me that the Weekly wants to "concentrate on local bands in the next few months", and I didn't really ask for clarification. It DID strike me as consistent with a comment he made a few months ago, that the paper valued my presence since I was one of their few local writers...so I've been a litle hung up on this notion that they keep me around to cheerlead the local bands, and have their outside writers cover the other stuff.

I can't say I'm altogether comfortable with either an unnaturally sharp focus on local musicians, or with me being pigeon-holed as their "guy on the local beat", something I've never really wanted to do, and doubt I'd be very good at anyway. I have covered locally-oriented stuff the last month or so; Otis Taylor, who lives here but doesn't play here much, and the Sonic Bloom Festival, focusing on Jamie Janover.

My complaints about "we cover local music" are fairly simple; 1) being local doesn't mean you're any good 2) being local shouldn't trigger press coverage, being good should and 3) extraordinary focus on local subject matter for its own sake, in my view, only serves to amplify Boulder's runaway narcissism and render the paper little more than a mirror for it.

From my perspective, I really don't think people "support local music" just for the sake of doing so, and never really have. Club goers with limited discretionary spending will pay for something they like.

We'll see where this leads, but for now I'm laying low.

No comments:

Post a Comment